sidious

Administrator
Apr 13, 2005
//necrostock.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/722735ee4823a454eda2a2b98559f809.png
It's been awhile since I've posted here but just wanted to give a heads up on some bugs and stuff you might be witnessing and just the general state of things with the site, etc.. First off, over the next week or so your avatar may display an older one, what you see in the image is a migration of over 1m images that have been uploaded to the site and pushing them from our dedicated server to amazons s3 'cloud'.

Back in 2006 when the site was kind of first kicking in the only options were 'dedicated' or 'virtual' servers. Virtual is more of like your dentist website, not a lot of traffic or database connections just static content. Dedicated on the other hand, is for high traffic, is usually managed and comes at a premium price. Which was awesome for the time being, but as companies like Google and Amazon compete in this 'cloud' territory prices continually get better.

Our current dedicated server runs around $550 ~ a month, depending on traffic bandwidth and / or if the payment was late. Wasn't that bad when the sites ad revenue was hitting around $3k a month but as the traffic slowed down the bill remained the same. So behind the scenes the last few months I've been staging certain sections to begin adjusting to this migration to make it as painless as possible.

//necrostock.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/316eb26b0548831868ee6e8785c5a06d.jpg

Having said that I've started going back and forth on what the future of the site is, and should be. In a business aspect it's a huge failure, I never really got the whole 'ad' revenue thing and jumped from so many companies trying to monetize properly. I can't really safely say that ad revenue in the banner sense is any way, especially for forum traffic to be in the black.

So in the mix of everything I am going to start separating the content back to specific domains and with it bring back NSB.org, strictly as a forum and that's it... No in between merger with everything just forum topics and trying to find a sweet spot where it's more oriented to images as the community is one that digests visually. I'll keep everyone posted as things progress but just wanted to chime in right now to let you know what's in the road map over the next month or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

sidious

Administrator
Apr 13, 2005
also just hit refresh if your avatar isn't showing

sidious

Administrator
Apr 13, 2005
//necrostock.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/e7702a041fc98fde1191325f33d0f560.jpg
Here is what moving 1,000,000+ images look like

Last edited by a moderator:

cheatingk9610

Apr 16, 2010
Oh fuck sid. This is crazy man! A lot of money being tossed around here, this is crazy. Didn't think running a website like this would cost so much. But some cool ideas I see developing! I hope everything works out man, exited to see NSB.org make a comeback in a sense! ✊✊✊

averageastronaut

kawaii til' the casket shut
Aug 13, 2011
//necrostock.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/d87330b58b514c7ba0fadf55a5090980.gif
keep at it, good to see the site moving forward.

brownbear22

Aug 11, 2009
not so much a step forward as a bullet in the head

Ike Hates Mike

Feb 11, 2012
brownbear22 writes:
what do you mean?