CUSTOMS QUESTIONS???? ASK HERE

capsule toy co

Aug 30, 2005
we have made this thread for those who have questions on anything reguarding the art of customization, feel free to ask anything here instead of making a new thread about it.

leanmachine

May 14, 2006
I know there's a few custom guides, but anyone have any advice for a complete beginner? I've figued out how to clean and restore dunks really well, but never did any customs

Just wondering where to buy some all white cheap kicks, and what works best, what shoe and what paint, and if spraypainting with stencils works

krewskater

Oct 19, 2006
Journeys sells all white leather dunks for $75. If you wanna spray them, try using an airbrush (createx paint is what i use), otherwise angelus is pretty good.

Will Krylon Crystal Clear work on leather (dunks)? I just got some and wanna make sure its good before i use it.
And, does anyone have advice on how to make good croc print? Like the "diamond 2's" that were posted on here (the ones that got deleted because of the upgrade, the kid used an x-acto to cut the croc instead of a woodburner).

krewskater

Oct 19, 2006
ok, ya i am. What clear coats would you reccomend then (if any)?
And ya, i was gonna use a woodburner, i was just trying to describe the shoes that had the croc skin.

capsule toy co

Aug 30, 2005
i like liquitex paints alot for working on leather and midsoles, i think they work really well, but make sure it's not the stuff that comes in the tubes called basics, make sure you get the stuff in bottles it's alittle more pricey but it works well since it's plyable and wont crack. can be found at almost any art supply or hobbie store

krewskater

Oct 19, 2006
ok, i figured id ask because in the painting leather shoes thread it said to add krylon matte varnish, which i couldnt find, so i just bought that stuff instead

kingkelly

May 5, 2006
If youre using angelus, it will naturally come out shiny. Probably more than you want, so people add the duller to make it less painted looking. I add a clear coat sometimes if I want that plasticy patent look, or ill put it over croc skin, which usually helps its realness.

Some tuts say to add a finishing coat, which isnt a clear coat really, but more of a protector/sealer for your finished paintjob. But jsut remember that angelus already has a weatherproofer agent in its paints.

krewskater

Oct 19, 2006
what kind of paints are you looking for?

Angelus can be found at most Michael's stores and A.C. Moore's. If you're getting it online try eBay or this website

sharp020

Mar 28, 2006
im wondering what kind of tool i could buy to make holes for the laces, hopefully in a hardware store or something of the sort since i dont know any arts and crafts stores around where i live

capsule toy co

Aug 30, 2005
im wondering what kind of tool i could buy to make holes for the laces, hopefully in a hardware store or something of the sort since i dont know any arts and crafts stores around where i live
the tool you want is called a gromet puncher, what it's real purpose is, is to attach those metal eyelets you see on shoes and stuff, you can find them at any hobby store. and they have metal eyelets that come in all sizes so you could even add those to the shoe if you wanted

capsule toy co

Aug 30, 2005
do a few rounds of bleach on it or rub some on there and let it sit for awhile, i have had bad luck with bleach so it's really not my forte`

nikesballen

Oct 19, 2006
Ok well I got a pair of Blackpacks 2, and it is all suede. My question is how can I stick material on to the suede? Is there a special technique? I'm working on a custom I've been thinkin about for a while. Just wanted to know if there are any good or bad things about suede. thanks everyone