Guide to Avoid Fakes and Frauds on eBay, etc!

IrisWildcat

Apr 16, 2005
I just wanted to give everyone here a quick thread on how to avoid fakes.

Fakes = Varients = Customs = Unauthorized, all FAKE shoes.
And no, fakes are not a good alternative to getting an expensive dunk, they fit and look like shit.

First off, here's a great resource for spotting certain fake dunks.
Guide to Fake Dunks

But there's more to it than just the look of the dunk. Sure the picture could be of a legit pair, but you need to be sure you're going to GET a legit pair.

Here's a guide for the rest.

SECTION 1 - EBAY

eBay can be great, especially for people that live in remote areas, but this is the #1 place people get duped into buying fakes.

1. Avoid 99.6% of sellers that are from Asia. Most of these people are selling nothing but fakes, but there are a FEW good sellers from Japan and China that you can get exclusives from. Look at their auction page layout. If it has poorly written english, fake. If it has that big ass size conversion chart, fake.

2. Avoid new sellers with lots of heat.

3. Avoid sellers that say location United States but then say they're shipped from China.

4. Check feedback history extensively. Some sellers will buy 10 cheap things to get a 10 feedback and then start selling fakes so make sure the feedback is for selling. More importanly selling shoes. If they have one negative for selling fakes, don't bid. Private feedback is a big giveaway too; they don't want you to see what they've been selling.

5. Be cautious of "fake-heavy" shoes. (i just made that word up) But seriously, shoes like Heinenkens, AM95's, Supreme lows etc are faked in huge numbers. If you are going to bid on one of these shoes be super careful.

6. Avoid sellers that will only take western union or a money order. Paypal with a credit card is the best way to go, (really) I had a jackass not send me a pair of shoes and I got my money back through Paypal. Western Union and money orders give you no protection at all.

7. Ask for extra pictures of the shoes with their eBay name and your eBay name on a piece of paper with the shoe. Some people will steal pictures from shoe boards and use them for their auctions, so you're bidding on a shoe that they don't have. If you have them put your eBay name on it too, this prevents someone from having the shoes once and selling them to 20 different people, frauding 19 of them.

8. Common sense. Seriously people. You aren't going to get Paris' for $200 unless the title of the auction is totally screwed up.

9. Use this board for help. Ask about sellers, ask about legit checks, ask about any situation. Most of us have been there before. If you worried about someone sniping your auction, just include pictures, or you can send me a message about it.

10. Avoid people offering wholesale lists or wholesale shoes. This means that they have a connection for tons of fakes and want to get rid of them. To you.

11. Be cautious of anyone with a full size run or lots of a rare shoe. This goes under the common sense category. Most legit sellers won't have 10 pairs of Supreme Highs for sale at once.

12. Check to see if their seller name matches the tags in the pics. Sometimes people will just blantantly steal someone's tagged pics.

13. Be careful of auctions listed in currency other than US dollars. I've noticed that chinese sellers will list in GBP or AUD to make it seem that they're shipping from Australia or Europe but still from overseas. They're most of the time shipping from China, which is another give away.

14. Listings with collages as pictures usually mean that they just stole a bunch of pictures and stuck them together. Not a good sign.

SECTION 2 - WEB SITES

There are plenty of websites offering Nike shoes, but there are probably more selling fakes than real ones.

1. Check their "user agreement page" or something to that effect. Most of these sites have to clearly state they are selling fakes, or "factory varients". Factory varients mean fake, plain and simple. This might be buried somewhere, but most will have something like that stated. Usually with shipping info.

2. Common sense. Again. Most of these shoes are super fake looking. Nike has never done a Gucci Air Force 1. If a site has one fake, they're all fakes. AND AGAIN, YOU AREN'T GETTING LUCKYS FOR $90. Most legit websites will be a RIP OFF on most shoes, especially SB dunks.

3. Again, use this board for help. Ask about people's experiences with websites. Some are legit, but a pain in the ass to deal with. All noteable information.

SECTION 3 - MESSAGE BOARD DEALS

This one is the way to best get to know people and start hooking each other up. But again, there's lots of assholes out there waiting to rip you off. Trading can be a little sketchy, but here's a couple things you can do.

1. I find that the best way to safely do message board sale is to go through eBay. Have the seller set up a private auction for you and state the terms on the page. Again, follow the rules in the eBay section. If they say something like "I don't have a eBay account" then bounce. Any self respecting sneakerhead either has, or can set up an account to sell something. You can even offer to pay the eBay fees, which will be under a dollar.

2. If you are the sender, be sure to get delivery confirmation/insurance and keep the paperwork for a while. If the shoes don't arrive, it might take a month to realize what happened. If you don't, you run the risk of looking like a fraud, even if it wasn't your fault.

3. For trades, you want to check the person you're trading with first. Make sure they have had NO problems and to be sure you can always each send only one shoe first and once everything is good, send the other.

================================================================================

Fraud Proofing your purchases through PayPal

Paypal can be a pain, and scary to deal with sometimes. (check PayPal Sucks if you have any doubt)
...but PayPal and my bank got me my money back quick.

1. Confirm your address on PayPal, this is so the seller has no legitimate way to not send you your shoes.

2. When paying for your purchase, be sure that your PayPal funding source is your credit card or bank acct/debit card, NOT your PayPal balance.

3. If you shoes don't arrive, or are fake when you get them, call your bank that you used from step 2 to fund the transaction and tell them to do a reversal because you got fraudulent shoes or nothing at all.

4. Your PayPal acct will be limited once this goes through, but all you have to do is have an automated dialer call you house and you enter the code into your PayPal acct and you're back in business.