• The Low End Theory
    Buggin' Out
    A Tribe Called Quest
    The Low End Theory

Is Skate boarding an art form?

ahabdune

Mar 16, 2010
Cheers all,

I believe that skate boarding by all accounts is an art form. I am curious to hear others on this topic before I state my reasons.

Jak

CormegA5

May 9, 2009
YES

MoreSb4me

Jun 21, 2008
i see it more as a sport, art to me would be drawing, painting, dancing, because you can express yourself. you can kinda say you can express yourself skateboarding, but it seems like there's less emotion to it.

VARIES

Jan 20, 2010
i see it more as a sport, art to me would be drawing, painting, dancing, because you can express yourself. you can kinda say you can express yourself skateboarding, but it seems like there's less emotion to it.
word up.
i say its just an activity just like any other sport! juss gotta give it your all.
i would not consider this art unless your fucking obsessed with it >_>

dont tell me your gonna say its "the tricks & how the board flips that makesit an art" really?
plus pics are just pics aswell! football players get shot while playing but i dont even hear anyone calling the picture "art" idk what your getting at but i wanna know what your tryna say lol

RVCAdrew

Jun 3, 2005
As much as I love skateboarding, it's still difficult to call it an art-form confidently. But to me, since I skate, snowboard and surf, as well as have many close friends that BMX and are into moto cross, I think skateboarding has a much better, and far more interesting aesthetic than any "action-sport". Surfing is arguably the only other sport that you could compare that has the same amount of expression in it.

I think skateboarding straddles the line between sport and art. The expression along with the aesthetic of it give it that deeper feel that every other sport lacks in my opinion. That along with the fact that it's a solo deal that doesn't require a reliance on another participant, its just a skater and his board which bares some resemblance to the artist and canvas set-up. Plus there are far more distinct and mixed styles of skateboarding than any other sport.

So I don't know how easily I would be able to call it a full-blown art form but it's up for debate which is more than any other sport, besides surfing, could be considered.

monochrome

Apr 20, 2008
i will agree with drew on this one.

HOW skaters skate is so important in how one likes a particular skater. if you take kobe and michael for example, they are "successful" because they score points and win championships. we watch them because of these reasons. a skater can have the deepest bag of tricks and win every competition out there, but if their style isnt aesthetically pleasing to a certain fan, those tricks and wins wont matter to him as much and he will be less inclined to watch future footage.

i find myself noticing the subtleties like how a skater looks rolling away, not always landing on bolts, or how much their arms move during tricks.

but of course it still requires physical activity, and if things like synchronized swimming and cheerleading can be used in the same sentences as the word "sport," then skateboarding surely qualifies.

bridgener

May 22, 2006
I wouldn't say the "action" of skateboarding is an art form, but skateboarding as a whole is. I barely even "skate" anymore, but I still definitely consider myself a skateboarder because of my appreciation of the artistic side of it. If you take a look at skateboarding as a big picture, you have skateboarders who collaborate as filmers/film makers, photographers, musicians, artists, designers, and even actors. It's how the skateboarding is portrayed.
So yeah, pushing your board down the street, hardly anything artistic about it. But take some footage of a skateboarder (say Clark Hassler) pushing down a street popping some ollies and just cruising, slap some good music on there, I'd find it hard to argue that to be not art. The skating feeds off the music and vice-versa.
Sometimes it's taken a bit too far (as in newer Transworld videos) and it becomes cheesy, but not all art is tasteful I guess.

SkRiLlZ

Oct 19, 2006
people touched on my points already so ill just say...

i love skateboarding.

kinda going off topic here, but i dont care**

i just hate those people (skaters) who are obsessed with pushing on a fake style-

if youre really a skater- then you can hear me out on a the fake stylo's thrown left and right from select skaters.

im no expert but it doesnt take a genius to see a faked body expression after landing or etc.
( and no im not talking about the obvious growth in one skaters style. thats a given, im talking extreme posing)

not to mention the skaters who constantly look around to see if people are watching them skate. who cares*

anyways. interesting topic to say the least. to me i could care less about art or not cause im in it until the end. lace skate boots up until im in a wheel chair or 6 feet under. passion is long hailed over any art mode to me*

cheers-

dominick

Nov 8, 2006
From dictionary.com

But really, art is in the eye of the beholder.

cheers//dom

4444cfed

Apr 24, 2007
I think skateboarding is definitely an art form. As one progresses and learns new tricks or refines the tricks they can already do they are mastering the art of skateboarding. When you bring aesthetics into play it only provides more reason that it is an art form. As mono stated some people have all of the tricks in the world but no style, their skating may not bring out any emotions in you the viewer but the person skating has a completely different perception and just the opposite for bridgener's example, Clark Hassler might be skating a hill in SF not giving a f@*k throwing an ollie here or a powerslide there and that completely appeals to the viewer even though the skating might not be challenging. I think a lot of sports are art forms in a sense and skating happens to be one of the most noticable in my opinion.

bridgener

May 22, 2006
I gotta say skrillz, I'm guilty of the "look around after landing a trick". I remember skating a spot downtown with my friends, the first time I ever landed a switch tre. I'm talking 2 solid pushes, scooped, landed on bolts and rolled away without losing speed. I was so fucking happy, looked around all beaming with pride (semi expecting some props or holler or something) but nobody even noticed! Story of my life... still one of my top 10 skateboarding moments for sure.

SkRiLlZ

Oct 19, 2006
I gotta say skrillz, I'm guilty of the "look around after landing a trick". I remember skating a spot downtown with my friends, the first time I ever landed a switch tre. I'm talking 2 solid pushes, scooped, landed on bolts and rolled away without losing speed. I was so fucking happy, looked around all beaming with pride (semi expecting some props or holler or something) but nobody even noticed! Story of my life... still one of my top 10 skateboarding moments for sure.
thats one of those "ill moment feeling a skater has"- the story of the sw-tre bolts. not the, nobody looked bit-

^^thats awesome bro. gotta love it.

but i reread that and i think i left the wrong impression. what you just shared is what everyone does naturally. i mean c'mon, even i look around if i did something out of the norm or something BANGIN*ly new, im gonna eye ball the crew- lol but nah i was referring to the constant/every trick look around type of skater. do a nollie heel flip and look around like whoa type of deal. i mean its not problem or a huge ordeal, i was just ranting cause i see it more often than not with select people, thats all.

i love skateboarding. the weather is nice B!TCHES!!!

skaterat

Dec 21, 2006
i think skateboarding absolutely is an artform. it has and should have lots of creativity, variation, and style. if it were to be compared to another established artform i'd say two of the closest would be martial arts and ballet. they both take a huge amount of dedication to learn things one wouldn't normally be able to do, and all in a creative context. when i see good visual art or skating i often think, wow why didn't i think of that, oh yeah because i suck.

i also get offended when people get too competitive with skating. don't get me wrong i love a good game of skate, but kids are taking it too far. if someone has fun cruising and popping a lil trick now and then more fucking power to them.

another reason i'd say it's an art is how little sense it makes trying to judge it. i'll usually never agree with results in contests although i enjoy watching them. i think the easy answer is that it, like martial arts, can be both an art and a sport. i'll watch a video part over a contest anyday though.

rant over. i'm still a bit tipsy from last nights whiskey.