Restore nubuck on true reds

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
As many sneaker collectors know, the nubuck on the true reds tend to fade to an orange/pink color and there seems to be no way of escaping this since it Happens to DS pairs as well.
My question is Has anyone here attempted to restore the nubuck? If so, please explain to me how you go about it
I've never tried a restoration project on my own :( and I'm not sure if I will since I fear I may cause damage to the shoe.
i may consider having someone with experience do the job for me if the price is right

HYPEBEASTBEATER

Jan 2, 2011
Could you post some pictures of your true reds so I can evaluate the condition?

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
Of course, I am planning to do that as soon as I get home

MackLethal

Jan 26, 2010
I think the only way would be to re-dye the nubuck red, I have the same problem with heinys and sharks.

brownbear22

Aug 11, 2009
^this. Its the same process Cemetery did to restore his unkles to the more original pink color. If you come up with anything else let me know, but re-dying the nubuck is pretty much your best/only bet

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
I see..well can anyone recommend me a good dye/nubuck dye brand? I think I'm going to try this out.

Also if anyone knows any kind of paint that I could use on midsoles for another shoe, please let me know!

elleon28

Dec 5, 2010
rit dye but it's strong

S

SuperSayianStas

lmk how this goes i would like to do this to my true reds as well thanks

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
I did a spot test to see if the color matched the leather but not a factory match. I ended up scrubbing the dye off back to how it was. Not the best pics but here's how they look (I'll try to get better lighting next time)

Test spot

jwizvr6

Jul 14, 2009
The problem ive encountered with red dye is it has a tendency for uneveness.
Overlapping will create too many shades of red.
Just from my experience

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
^ yes your are totally correct
I went over it again and it came out too dark
I guess I'll just leave it as it is
Oh well

brownbear22

Aug 11, 2009
I think its gonna be pretty much impossible to get em back to factory color
I guess it just depends on if you'd rather have true oranges or new reds

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
yea but the same shit would happen if i got DS reds...like the pair i have now.
i do have the red devil highs but still though...
i'll just leave it as it is till i come up with a better solution
thanks for your input guys

brownbear22

Aug 11, 2009
I meant new red as in whatever shade of red they end up being if you dye them
but yea, Id prolly just leave em as is

MarvinV

Aug 25, 2011
What about that stuff that CementaryDrive used a while back to bring back the pink on his Unkles?

brownbear22

Aug 11, 2009
as I have already said, he repainted them, just like we are discussing here

bridgener

May 22, 2006
I think if you were serious about doing this, you could apply the dye using a paint gun instead of a brush to get an even coat. If you have access to an air compressor, you can get a cheap touch-up gun (used for small detail jobs like this) at harbor freight tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

I've used that specific gun before, and it works very well for the price! This coupled with a small compressor would do the job. You'd just have to mask the shoes VERY carefully, and apply very thin coats.

RICHY

Nov 12, 2010
^appreciate the help
I think I may go that route, I'll probably buy some cheap shoes and practice on those before I do anything to the true reds

MDiesel

Jan 19, 2008
If you decide to dye it, diluting the dye as well to assure light coats may help. Just apply several light coats until the color is where you are comfortable or as close to factory as possible